Special Education Needs

At Filton Avenue Primary School, we celebrate all members of our community and understand that different people – children and adults alike – access learning best in different ways.  We have a thoroughly inclusive culture, responding to the diversity of children’s backgrounds, interests, experiences, knowledge and skills by ensuring meaningful and effective learning experiences for all pupils.  We value high-quality teaching for all learners and actively monitor the quality and effectiveness of teaching and learning in the school.

We aim to create learning environments which are flexible enough to meet the needs of all members of our school community.  The progress of all learners is closely monitored throughout the year through teacher assessments, and staff continually plan for ‘next steps’ learning, to ensure that progress is being made by all.  Progress of pupils with additional needs is regularly discussed in team planning meetings and in consultation with the relevant Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCO) for each child’s site and phase.

The SENDCOs at Filton Avenue are:

Orchard Campus (0117 377 2019):

Mrs Ros Walker (Inclusion Manager/SENDCO – All Phases)

Lockleaze Road (0117 903 0302):

Ms Alison Harris-Pearce (SENDCO – All phases) from January 2022

The relevant SENDCO can be contacted if you have any specific questions about possible special educational needs your child may have, or about provision that is already being made to address an identified need.  Please contact the school office if you would like to make an appointment to speak to your child’s phase SENDCO.

To find out more about how Special Educational Needs is managed and monitored please read the SEND Report in the download section of this page.


“How will my child and I be involved in decisions about their special educational provision?”

  • Children and parents/carers will be consulted at all stages of the ‘graduated response’ of the SEND Code of Practice (2015). This means you and they will be asked for their views on what works well for them, what they need to improve on and what they will need to achieve this.
  • The child’s and parent/carer’s voices are captured in provision plans, support plans and in assessments for Education, Health and Care Plans, as appropriate.“How will we measure the progress of your child in school?”
    • If your child is in Year 1 and above but is working at a level consistent with the Early Years Foundation Stage, it may be more appropriate to assess their progression using the ‘Differentiated Early Years Outcomes’ (DEYO) document in order to assess and plan for their next steps in learning
    • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the school’s results are published nationally. Some SEND children might be disapplied from sitting these tests or given additional time to do them in.
    • Children with SEND will have a Provision Plan which will be reviewed with your involvement, at least three times a year.
    • The progress of children with Top Up funding, a statement of SEN or an EHCP is formally reviewed at an Annual Review meeting with all adults involved with the child’s education.
    • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

    “What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with a SEN?”

    • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have. The class teacher can share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
    • The SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have.
    • Outside professionals will usually discuss information with you in person and by a written report.   If they are not able to discuss matters with you in person, you will receive the report by post.
    • Provision Plans will be reviewed with your involvement, three times a year.
    • Homework will be adjusted as needed for your child’s individual needs.
    • School can provide you with information about Parent Support groups which can help you as a parent of a child with SEN.
    • Further support can be accessed from FLORA and Bristol’s SENDIASS service, ‘SEND and You’. ADD LINK HERE TO FLORA AND SEND & YOU: Advice and support for parents and carers – Bristol’s SEND Local Offer – bristol.gov.uk    Home – SEND and You

    “How is Filton Avenue Primary School accessible to children with SEND?”

    • The Lockleaze Road site is accessible to children with physical disability via ramps and adapted for those with visual impairments.
    • The Orchard Campus site has full disabled access.
    • We ensure that the equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
    • If your child requires a hoist or other specialist equipment we will work with the relevant agencies and local authorities to ensure these are in place.
    • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND wherever possible and reasonable adjustments are made to include them.

    We will seek advice for each child’s additional accessibility needs and make any necessary adjustments to the environment where possible.

    “How will we support your child when they are leaving this school or moving on to another class?”

    We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

    • If your child is moving child to another school:
      • We will contact the school SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
      • The school will ensure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
    • When moving classes in school:
      • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All Provision Plans will be shared with the new teacher.
      • Your child will visit their new teacher along with the rest of their class during the summer term.
      • If your child would be helped by further visits or information to support them understand moving on, then arrangements will be made for this to happen.
    • In Year 6:
      • The SENDCo will contact the SENDCo of their next school and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child. The SENDCo can support you in looking at appropriate secondary schools to meet your child’s needs.
      • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of the transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
      • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
      • The school will ensure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

    “How will I know how my child is doing?”

    Throughout the school year, the school will provide a range of opportunities for parents to find out about your child’s progress including:

    • Parent Consultation Meetings in the autumn and spring term.
    • Opportunities to visit your child’s learning in class during the Open Weeks twice a year.
    • End of Year Reports to parents.
    • Opportunities to discuss your child’s report in the summer term.
    • Meetings to review Provision Plans, 3 times a year (this may be done during your Parents Consultation Meeting).
    • A yearly meeting for any child with TopUp funding, a Statement of SEN or EHCP, involving parents, school and any relevant external agencies, to review the child’s progress.

    Informal meetings with school staff as requested. Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

    Children with SEND will have a Provision Plan which will be reviewed with your involvement, at least three times a year.